Friday, September 7, 2012

Philippians 2:5


“Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 2:5

In the verses preceding this verse we were told to “Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves” ( Philippians 2:3) and to “let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. (Philippians 2:4)

Now we are told to have the mind of Christ. What does Paul mean by this? I believe he means to take up the same humble attitude as Christ, to focus your mind on others and not yourself, to live sacrificially.

Christ is our ultimate example of this. We ought to follow His example. I want to die to myself so that I might for Christ, and in living for Him I then will serve others.

The theme of Paul’s letter to the Philippians is joy, and here in verses 3-8 we see how to have that joy…it is Jesus, others, you, it is emptying yourself, laying aside your rights, and having a servant’s heart. I want to have the heart and mind of Jesus. Lord, help me to selflessly serve You as You so selflessly served me.

Application: Tonight I will look for a way I can look not to my own interests but to the interests of others by serving one of my team members.


No comments: