Thursday, September 20, 2012

John 17:20


John 17:20 says, “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word”. I believe that there are treasures in this verse from which we can glean. I love Jesus’ statement here, that He does not ask for these only (His present followers), but also for those who would come to believe in Him. I love this because this tells me that Jesus was not only praying for His disciples there, but He was also praying for me. He was praying for all who would believe in Him, and all means all. Every single believer is included in Jesus’ prayer. This should be a tremendous comfort to all believers. I am always so encouraged to know that people are praying for me, and what an encouragement to know that the King of kings and Lord of lords prays for me! In John 17:15 Jesus prayed, “I do not ask that You take them out of the world, but that You keep them from the evil one.” Jesus is fully aware of the spiritual battle which takes place inside every believer’s heart, and He prayed for us concerning this. Sometimes I feel so weak and the battle is so hard for me, and I am so encouraged to know that Jesus prayed for me specifically concerning this.

It’s important that we also look at the second part of John 17:20. Jesus prayed for those who would come to believe in Him through the word of His disciples. This is really important because it reminds us of the power of the believer’s testimony. Jesus wants to use each and every believer’s testimony as a witness to the world. I want people to come to know Jesus through my words. I don’t want my words to be self focused, but rather to point to Jesus and to declare how amazingly gracious He has been to me. Today the Lord has reminded me of the lyrics of a song: “Your grace still amazes me, Your love is still a mystery, each day I fall on my knees, ‘cause Your grace still amazes me.” I am so amazed by the grace the Lord Jesus has lavished upon me, and continues to lavish upon me day after day. I am such a sinner, and yet He has blessed me so abundantly. To think that I am serving Him in ministry makes me feel so incredibly thankful. I am so thankful that Jesus is able to use me by His grace and has chosen to bless me. How can I keep Him to myself? This Jesus who loves me so faithfully, who forgives me so graciously, who blesses me so sweetly, longs to in the same way love, forgive, and bless everyone in this whole world. I want to declare Him to a lost and dying world around me. I want to live and speak in such a way that people would see the grace and goodness of the Lord in my life and would come to believe in Him.

Application: Today I will give thanks to Jesus for praying for me and for using me by His grace. I will pray that my life will point others to Him. 

No comments: