Thursday, September 20, 2012

Jesus Is My Home


I love the song, “Hideaway”. If I had to choose my top favorite worship song, that would be it. I love the chorus: “You are my rest, You are my home, safe in Your arms, my Hideaway.”

These words so sweetly ministered to me when I first heard them in church years ago, and then when I was in Belize a couple years ago the Lord again used that song to encourage me.

While in Belize on a mission trip, I really struggled with being homesick. It didn’t really make sense to me, since I was only gone for about 9 days and I had been away from home and out of the country on other mission trips before that.

It was hard for me, and yet the Lord really used that struggle to teach me something. He taught me that He is my home. He used the song “Hideaway” to remind me of this. On that trip I was so tired and homesick, yet the Lord showed me that my rest and my home is in Him.

Home is where I belong, where I feel safe and secure. Home is where I am cared for and loved. Home is where my heart rejoices and finds rest.

When I write out that list of what home is, I really see that indeed Jesus is my home. He is where I belong. In Him I am safe and secure, cared for and loved. In Him my heart rejoices and finds rest.

I am so thankful that Jesus taught me this lesson. I believe that He knew that I needed to learn that lesson then if I was to become a missionary.

That’s not to say that I still don’t miss my earthly home and family. I miss them so much, and it’s been hard to be away from them. I can’t wait to spend ten days at home with my family. I want those days to go by incredibly slow; I want to cherish every moment with them.

Even if I’m thousands of miles away, nothing could ever take the place of my family. I will always carry them close to my heart. Next week I won’t be able to see my brother Nicholas since he lives across the country, but he still holds a very special place in my heart. No one or thing could ever change that.

Recognizing Jesus as my home does not make me love my family any less; rather it gives me the strength and comfort I need to be away from them.

Thank You, Jesus, for being my rest, my home, and for keeping me safe in Your arms. You are my Hideaway.

No comments: