Friday, September 7, 2012

1 Corinthians 9:24


“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.” 1 Corinthians 9:24

As I run this race Jesus has set before me, I find there are two others also running closely beside me.

Fear and Anxiety are their names, and much to my dismay, they never seem to take a break.

Sometimes Fear and Anxiety speak softly to me, and other times they both yell at me, but no matter how they speak, their words always slow me down, and sometimes even get me off the race track completely.

It is during these times, when I listen to Fear and Anxiety, that I am tempted to quit the race, for I feel as though I will never win anyway.

But wait! All of a sudden I see a third Person. I look intently into His face and discover it is Jesus, and not only do I discover it is Jesus, I also find that when my eyes are fixed on Him, Fear and Anxiety seem to flee.
Now my eyes are upon Jesus, and I hear His sweet words whispered to me:
fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10)

I realize that He has always been whispering these words, but I couldn’t hear them because I was too focused on Fear and Anxiety.

Though there are still times I stumble and begin to let Fear and Anxiety run this race with me, I find that I have only to look back to Jesus and He’ll pick me back up. He is always faithful to give me the strength I need. He has already won the race, so I have only to follow in His footsteps, claiming His victory as my own.

Application: Today I will continue to lay down my fear and anxiety before Jesus and ask Him to help me keep my eyes on Him.

No comments: