Friday, September 7, 2012

1 Timothy 6:6


“Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment.” 1 Timothy 1:6

In reading this verse I think it’s important to note that in the verses preceding this one Pau writes about false teachers. Paul said in verse 5 that they imagine godliness is a means of gain. I believe his meaning was that false teachers pervert the gospel to gain earthly riches for themselves. 

Now we come to verse 6, “Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment.” I believe that what Paul is saying here is that when you are in Christ and find your contentment in Him, that is when you’ll find the greatest blessing. I have found that there is nothing in this world that can satisfy me like Jesus. It is when my eyes are on Him, no matter what may be going on around me, that my soul is content and satisfied.

I think it’s important to note that contentment is a choice, not an emotion. When I am in the midst of a difficult circumstance, I have a choice. Am I going to allow my trial to make me discontent or am I going to look to Christ and let Him be my all in all? I can honestly say I have all I need in Christ. Sure, I’m not perfect and there are s I wish I could have and struggles I wish I didn’t have to experience, but when I stop and sit with Jesus, I find that He is all I really want. The times spent with Him are the moments for which my hear lives, and it is there find contentment.

Therefore today I will memorize 2 Corinthians 10:12 to remind me my contentment is found in Christ, regardless of my circumstance. 

No comments: