Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Luke 17:10


“So you also, when you have done all that was commanded you, say, ‘We are unworthy servants, we have only done what was our duty.’” Luke 17:10

To me, this verse speaks of how the life of a servant is not some extraordinary thing, but rather one which all believers in Christ should lead.

When you serve Jesus and others, it is far too easy to feel as though you are something special. Especially here at Potter’s Field, it can be easy to feel as though we are giving up so much to serve Jesus and thus should earn some special blessing. This is not the case! Granted the Lord blesses obedience, and yet our obedience to come here is not some extraordinary thing, rather it is a response to God’s love for us. We need to stop thinking that we are giving such a huge sacrifice to Christ, and realize that our giving our lives to Him is simply what we are called as servants to do. He is so worthy of our lives, and we are so unworthy. Our serving Him is not some amazing thing, but rather what is expected of a follower of Jesus. It is also important to realize that the Lord has a different plan for each and everyone’s life. We should never feel as though we are serving Jesus more than another, because He has called us to serve in different capacities and locations. He may call some to Potter’s Field, He may call some to serve in the workplace, and He may call some to stay and serve at home. It is never about what the servant is doing, but rather the heart of the servant that’s doing it. The heart of the servant should always be one of humbleness and gratitude. Humbleness in that he knows all he offers to God is simply in response to all he has been given, and gratitude that he is even allowed to serve such an amazing God.

I feel so blessed and so blown away that the Lord has called me to be His servant. It makes me want to fall on my knees in worship when I think how He has chosen not only to save me by His grace, but to also use me by His grace. I want to daily serve Him with all of my heart, and to do it with humbleness and gratitude. I want to realize that anything I give Him is not some amazing sacrifice, but rather that which He deserves. He deserves so much more than I could ever give Him!

I love Romans 12:1 – “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.”

My life of service to Jesus is not some extraordinary thing, but rather it is reasonable that I would live a life of service to Him in response to all that He has done for me.

Application: Today, I will pray and ask the Lord to help me to serve my family as I go home. I want to serve Jesus by serving my family.

No comments: