Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Mark 8:35


“For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it.” Mark 8:35

This verse reminds me of something Jim Elliot once said – “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.”

Mark 8:35 and Jim Elliot’s quote are both very encouraging to me. I am encouraged by them because I am reminded that, as I surrender my life to Jesus each day, I am giving it for Him who won’t ever be taken away from me. Some may think me foolish to leave my family and want to become a missionary, and yet I know that this life the Lord has given me is not my own. I know that as tempting as it may be to go back home and life a “normal” life, that is not where the Lord wants me. I know that it is in losing my life for Christ, in dying to myself, that I truly find life, and life abundantly.

 It is so easy to feel as though I am giving so much to be here, and yet it is in giving my life to Jesus that I truly experience what it really is to live. There is so much joy in obedience.

I want to live each and every day with a heavenly mindset. Jesus won’t ever be taken away from me, and I want to live each day with that truth in mind. I want to live each day with Heaven in mind so that sacrifices in this present life will seem tiny in comparison to the glory that awaits me.

I want to give everything to love Jesus, because He gave everything to love me. When my days on this earth are ending, I want to be able to look back over my life and know that daily I lived my life by losing it for Jesus. How I long to hear my Savior speak those sweet words to me, “Well done, my good and faithful servant”!

Application: Today I will spend time in prayer once again laying my fears and anxieties upon the altar, so that I may lose my life and thus fully live it for Jesus.

No comments: