Friday, September 7, 2012

Ephesians 5:17


“Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.” Ephesians 5:17

One might ask, “How can I know what the will of the Lord is?” Indeed, it seems as though believers are always asking this question.

While it is true the Lord has a calling on each individual’s life, it is also true that believers as a while need not look further than God’s word to discover His will.

For example, Ephesians 5:1-2 says: “Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”

God’s will is that I would imitate Him, and that I would grow to become more and more like Him each day. He also calls me to walk in sacrificial love, as did Christ. I love the picture of Christ being a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. How I long to be like Christ, to also be a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God, to be a sweet smelling aroma to Him.

Matthew 6:16 says: “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”

God’s will for me is to be a light to a lost and dying world around me. The Lord wishes none to perish, but that all should reach repentance. (2 Peter 3:9)

I may not know all that the Lord has planned for my life or all that He’s going to specifically call me to do, but I do know what He’s called me to do today. He has called me to imitate Him, to walk in love, to be a sweet sacrifice to Him, and to be a light.

Jesus, please give me the grace to follow hard after You in these things.

Application: Today I will pray that Jesus would help me to walk in love and not be irritable.

No comments: