Friday, September 7, 2012

1 Timothy 6:9


“But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desire that plunge people into ruin and destruction.” 1 Timothy 6:9

Again, this verse is very clearly built upon the previous verses. We have been reminded to be content, to not store up things on this earth, and now we are warned against the temptation of riches.

Earthly riches in and of themselves aren’t evil; it’s when we desire those riches above God and His desires.
Matthew 6:33 says: “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.”
I want to seek Jesus above all else, to desire Him above anything.

Proverbs 13:7 says: “There is one who makes himself rich, yet has nothing; and one who makes himself poor, yet has great riches.”
I am so very rich in Christ. It is when I recognize that no earthly riches on this world can satisfy me, when I recognize how poor I am without Christ, that I realize how rich I am in Him.

Honestly, I don’t have much in the eyes of this world, but in Christ I have everything.

I want to daily recognize how poor I am without Jesus; so that I can embrace the riches He lovingly gives me.

Application: Today I will write done Proverbs 13:7 and put it in my pocket and carry it with me so I can be reminded of it often today.


No comments: