Friday, September 7, 2012

1 Corinthians 9:27


“But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.” 1 Corinthians 9:27

In the previous verses, Paul was likening the Christian life to that of a race. While running this race, we need to be well nourished by the Word of God and practicing self control by not giving into the lies and temptations of the enemy which get us off course.

Now in verse 27 Paul tells us that he disciplines his body to keep it under control. I think of the word discipline, and how discipline is often thought of as something painful and hard, and yet discipline brings maturity and joy.

I want to live a disciplined life. An area of my life that I really need to be disciplined in is in my thought life. I often struggle with fear and anxiety, both of which are sin, and I need discipline in this area of my life.

2 Corinthians 10:3-6 says: “For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete.”

Many of my loved ones have often told me to take every thought captive, and even though I have heard this verse countless times, I am so thankful for each and every reminder  of it. It takes discipline to take every thought captive. This doesn’t just happen overnight. I have to daily wake up and choose to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, and I have to continue choosing all throughout the day.

My Mom once told me the story of the two wolves – it’s an old Indian story. I sadly don’t have a copy of it and don’t remember it in it’s entirety, but in summary it’s a story of a battle between two wolves. An old grandfather tells his grandson that one wolf is bad, and one is good. The grandson asked his grandfather which one wins, and the grandfather simply said, “The one you feed.”

It has been many years since my Mom told me this story, but it has stuck with me. I want to feed the “good wolf” and starve the “bad”. It all comes back to God’s Word – I need to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ. How do I this when so often I find myself bombarded by thoughts of fear and anxiety? I need to take those thoughts of fear and anxiety when they come and immediately surrender them to Jesus. I then need to meditate on the truth of His Word.

This takes discipline, but by disciplining myself in this I believe the result will be abundant joy.

Application: Today I will practice discipline by memorizing Psalm 1.

No comments: