Friday, September 7, 2012

1 Corinthians 9:23


“I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.” 1 Corinthians 9:23

In 1 Corinthians 9, Paul writes about how he has given his rights. Now in verse 23 we see he did it all for the sake of the gospel – he did it all for Jesus.

This chapter is both encouraging and convicting to me. It is encouraging to read a letter from a man who was so devoted to his Lord, and it is convicting in that I am called to that same level of devotion.

Paul willingly gave up his rights. In verse 12 he said, “Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the way of the gospel of Christ.” Paul was willing to go through anything for the sake of the gospel. He laid down his rights to be a servant of Jesus. How I long to follow in his footsteps!

It is hard to lay down my rights, to surrender all to follow Jesus where He leads. Sometimes it feels as though I’m giving up too much to be here at Potter’s Field, and sometimes I struggle with wanting to go home and live my life how I myself want to live it. I find myself encouraged, however, when I read the last part of verse 23 – “that I may share with them in its blessings.”

Even though it may be hard to give up my rights, that’s where the greatest blessings are found. The greatest blessings are found in obedient surrender. If I were to pick up my rights and carry them back home with me, I would miss out on the blessings the Lord has for me here. God would still accomplish His work in Costa Rica, because He doesn’t need me. It would be me who would miss out on all the blessings He has in store.
In reality, Christ gave up His rights for me and became the ultimate sacrifice, and so me giving up my rights and offering my life as a sacrifice pales in comparison.

Jesus, may I daily give up my rights and surrender my will to serve You wholeheartedly.

Application: Today I will pray to surrender my will and my rights to Jesus.

No comments: