Thursday, September 13, 2012

Be Still

Ps. 23:1-2
"The LORD is my Shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters."

My good Shepherd makes me lie down in green pastures. When I read verse 2, I picture Jesus smiling and saying, "Amen!" He knows He has to make me lie down. All too often I am running in circles, anxious and afraid with a long list of things to do, and it is then my Shepherd makes me lie down.
He knows how against my nature it is to rest, but as a loving Father He knows how much I need that rest. It may happen through a sharp rebuke of a loved one, a gentle whisper from His Word, or the encouragement of family, but one way or another Jesus is faithful to make me lie down.
He longs for me to rest in Him. Yes, to be faithful to my calling, but all the while resting in His perfect hand.

He leads me beside still waters. So often I take the noisy route, the route with sirens and horns, the route with train whistles and airplanes. I find myself getting lost in the noise and chaos of life, because instead of letting my faithful Shepherd lead me beside still waters, I have led myself on a busy street and have gotten stuck in traffic. The traffic of my anxious thoughts and fears, the traffic of my doubts and emotions, and because I am stuck in traffic, I can't get where He wants me. I am stuck.

It is then my heavenly Father gently yet firmly lays hold of me, picks me up, and carries me back to those still waters. Once beside those still waters, I wonder why in the world I ever thought it best to leave them. "Be still, My child", my Shepherd sweetly whispers, "Know that I am God. don't be afraid to stay by the still waters. This is where I want you, for it is in the stillness you hear My voice. It is in the stillness you remember My promises, and thus find strength to walk in My plans for you. Be still and know that I am God." 

No comments: