Friday, July 27, 2012

Proverbs 3:17


"Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace." Proverbs 3:17

What does Solomon mean when he says that wisdom's ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace?

Does this mean that everything will always be happy go lucky for the one who possesses wisdom? I don't believe this to be the case.

Instead, I believe that when one truly has wisdom, then he is not going to constantly be bringing trouble upon himself.

Of course, we all make foolish choices at times and nobody is perfect, but for the one who truly seeks to live by wisdom, then his life will be far more peaceful and pleasant because he won't be constantly paying the consequences of folly.

By living wisely we can limit the amount of pain we bring upon ourselves, yet it is an inevitable fact that life is hard and not always pleasant, even for the wisest person on earth.

Someone with great wisdom will have good days as well as bad days, will experience joy as well as sorrow, and will have laughter as well as tears. I believe that what Solomon is saying in this verse is this:
If you are truly seeking after wisdom and want to live a life that's pleasing unto the Lord, then you will have a peace and a joy beyond your circumstances.

I don't think Solomon is promising a life without pain, but instead joy and peace in the midst of the hard times.

Application: Today I will pray specifically that the Lord would help me walk in wisdom, and that He would give me joy and peace in the midst of my trials.

No comments: