Friday, July 27, 2012

Proverbs 3:16


Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor.” Proverbs 3:16

Continuing on from verse 13, we know that “her” is referring to wisdom. In examining this passage closely, we have seen how precious and invaluable it really is to possess wisdom.

Now in verse 16 we see that long life are in her right hand, and riches and honor in her left.

Long life is in her right hand. When I first read these words, I immediately think it to mean that if I have wisdom, then I am going to live a long life on this earth, but, really, I don’t think that’s what Solomon is saying. I think that a better way to interpret this verse is not necessarily in quantity of days, but in quality. I know for a fact that sometimes those who possess great wisdom pass away from this life at an early age, and so I don’t think this verse is a promise of length of days on this earth No, instead I would look at it from the perspective that there will be abundant blessings in your life if you walk in the way of wisdom. Yes, you will still have your share of hardships and trials, but there will be blessings in the midst of it all.  I also think that another way to interpret this verse is to realize that, while we may not have length of days on this earth, if we are in Christ we will truly have a long life, maybe not on this earth, but in heaven. We will not only have a long life, but we will have everlasting life. What a glorious truth!

In her left hand are riches and honor. Again, this simply brings me back to the blessings that truly come when I make wisdom my friend. May I daily seek not the wisdom of this world, but the wisdom of my Heavenly Father.

Application: Today I will pray that the Lord will help me grow in wisdom.

No comments: