Monday, July 30, 2012

Luke 22:40

"And when He came to the place, He said to them 'Pray that you may not enter into temptation.'" Luke 22:40


In this verse, I see the importance and power of prayer. Jesus, who knew each and every one of His disciples and their weaknesses, told them to pray that they may not enter into temptation. Jesus knew full well what would lie ahead, how temptations and trials awaited His disciples, how one would deny Him, not once, not twice, but three times. Because Jesus knew all these things would take place, what did Jesus tell His disciples to do? Pray.

The Bible tells us in James 1:13-14 that God cannot tempt anyone - "Let no one say when he is tempted, 'I am being tempted by God,' for God cannot be tempted with evil, and He Himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire."  We as human beings are tempted every day, and yet not because God tempts us, but because we are sinners. Temptation, however, in and of itself is not a sin - it's what you choose to do with that temptation. With every temptation that I face, I have a choice. I can choose to give into that temptation and sin, or I can look to Jesus to deliver me from that temptation.

1 Corinthians 10:13 says, "No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation He will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it." 


This is such an encouraging passage to me, because not only does it comfort me in the fact that I'm not the only one who has temptations and struggles, but it also is a sweet promise to me that when I am tempted, God will always, always provide a way of escape. With every temptation I face, I am also given a promise, that if I look to Jesus He will provide a way of escape from that temptation. He will be my Escape.

Going back to Luke 22:40, I see that Jesus told His disciples to pray so that they would not enter into temptation. Prayer is such an important part of the Christian's walk with Jesus. As the girls here at Potter's Field have been learning, prayer moves the heart of God. I want to consistently be in prayer, not just halfheartedly praying, but really pouring my heart out to God.

Daily I am confronted by temptation, and daily I desire to take that temptation to the Lord in prayer, to let Him by my Escape, my Refuge, my Rock, my Deliverer. My spirit is willing, but my flesh is weak. I want to take all my weaknesses to the Lord in prayer, instead of beating myself up over my weaknesses and failures, I want to take them all to Jesus and allow Him to somehow use them for good. I love the lyrics, "Jesus knows our every weakness, take it to the Lord in prayer." May we daily take our weaknesses to the feet of Jesus in prayer, for it is then that we can find His strength.

Application: This week I will memorize 1 Corinthians 10:13 to remind me to always take it to the Lord in prayer when I am tempted.

No comments: