Thursday, October 16, 2008

Scattered Thoughts



Do you ever stop and just think?

Maybe wonder where there's so much suffering in the world?

Or have you ever just stopped and enjoyed the simplicity yet beauty of the sunset?

Lately I've realized a lot of pain in the world. And at times it can become overwhelming. I don't understand why people get hurt. I don't get it why some people get sick while some get healed. I don't understand why a 4 year old has to cry because she misses her mommy so much, and my heart breaks knowing I can't say "she'll be here soon" since she's in prison and in reality will be there away from her precious daughter for a very long time. It's just so hard to grasp, hard to think about.

Sometimes I like to just go outside. I like to see all of God's creation. Maybe see the sun shining warm upon the earth, maybe see the golden-leafed trees swaying in the cool wind. All of creation seems to shout out the name of our awesome Creator, declaring His goodness.

And during those times when even thinking is painful, I see more closely the simple yet beautiful things. I've learned that my many "why" questions I long to have answered really don't matter. I've learned that you can't go through life without a struggle but what you do with that struggle only you can decide. And instead of constantly questioning what God is doing, I can thank Him for what He has done.

As important it is to realize life is not always going to be a smooth ride, it's also important to know that God is always good. Once you experience those trials it helps you see more clearly the things that are important, and those things which aren't.

In life there will always be those questions we can't answer but wish we could. But sometimes just knowing God knows the answer is enough.

Life is a gift. It was given to us for a reason. We hate it when we give people gifts and they don't do anything with what we gave them, just stick it in some faraway corner. God sure must be patient with us, because I know He has given us this life and it is truly a precious gift, and He wants us to make the most of it.

So even when there is lots of suffering around, it's important to just know that God is God and thankfully we are not. And because of that we can enjoy the simplist of joys.

Running barefoot along the sandy beach while the ocean mist sprays your face. The simple things. And knowing we are always in the hand of our Father, and He's holding us oh so tight and won't ever let go. The most important thing.

Psalm 121

I will lift my eyes up to the hills--

From whence comes my help?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.

He will not allow your foot to be moved;
He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel
Shall neither slumber nor sleep.
The LORD is your keeper;
The LORD is your shade at your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,
Nor the moon by night.

The LORD shall preserve you from all evil;
He shall preserve your soul.
The LORD shall preserve your going out and your coming
in
From this time forth and even forevermore.


No comments: