Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Debate

Sunday was the debate!

My brother said he thought we got our butts kicked, but I thought it was a lot of fun and I think we all actually learned a lot. As it turns out, I have known the "athiest" for a long time, he goes to our church. I guess a few people knew who it was already, but I didn't know, since I didn't hear anyone mention his last name. So I think knowing who he was made it less nerve racking for some. So he was just up on the stage and we were all in the audience and were supposed to raise our hands when we wanted to debate on something he said or just to pick a topic to debate. I must admit, I didn't raise my hand a single time! Yep, I didn't say a word, I felt bad, like I really wanted to say something, but I couldn't think of anything...besides, it was pretty entertaining just listening. It went pretty orderly, but occasionally it got a little crazy with everyone trying to talk all at once. Dave (the "atheist") clearly made it known beforehand that he is NOT an athiest and he does not believe any of that stuff.

At the beginning I mentioned that I learned a lot, one of the things that they said, was you can't be tearing apart the person, because then it's no longer witnessing, but just arguing. We are spreading the Gospel of love, and how can you do that when you insult the person for their beliefs which you find odd? Attacking the beliefs and the person are too entirely different things. Of course, you need to point out the faults in the beliefs, but you can do that without pointing out faults in the person. For example, saying "Wow, how the heck can you believe that? That's not very smart" probably isn't the very best thing to say.

Another thing, was a lot of what our group would debate, or want to make as a topic, really doesn't matter when you get right down to it. They said when you're trying to witness to somebody, just let the small things go. Even when people were trying to prove different stories in the Bible were true, that's not the point. The point is the Bible ITSELF. And, you need to go to the Cornerstone, go to Jesus, talk about Him, not about lots of little issues that really don't matter.

The last thing is you gotta know when to stop. You can go back and forth back and forth, but there comes a point when you just have to let it go, even if it means continuing the conversation at a later time. The person will go home, and what you said will get them thinking. It's rare that after debating that someone will just say "You're right, I believe now". I mean, that totally is possible, but it does take time. And you can't argue anyone into the kingdom of God. Jesus is the only One who knows and can work in the heart of man, and we are merely His tools.

P.s. Okay, so I know this picture has nothing to do with what I was just talking about, but isn't it cute?! That's my dog, Gidget - she's 4 years old but still acts just like a baby. Seriously, she chews up everything, but I love her! It's fun to wrap her up in a blanket, and tuck her in at night. =)







1 comment:

Lori said...

Your doggie is adorable! And thank you for publishing your wisdom about sharing Christ with people. Such good advice about knowing when to stop and not attacking. So many non-believers are scared to ask questions or think we're righteous hypocrits. Your advice of showing God's love in these conversations will certainly make the path smoother.