Thursday, July 20, 2017

Choosing Jesus over Fear

I don't know about you, but I'm very thankful for all the times in Scripture that God tells His people not to fear.

Fear has been something that I wrestle against, and though I've had many fears over the years, God has always proven Himself so faithful and so much stronger than any fear. I just have to choose to trust Him instead of allowing my fears to control me.

Just yesterday morning, I awoke around 3AM from a horrible nightmare. It was one of the worst dreams I've had. It seemed so vivid and real, which made it that much scarier.

The truth is, it was only a dream that had so disturbed my peace - it wasn't even real. But I guess that's true of most fears, isn't it? So often the fear seems so real and so intense, and yet it's not even real; it's only in my head.
After that dream, I went back to these verses which spoke truth and comfort to me:

"The LORD is my light and my
salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the strength of my life;
Of whom shall I be afraid?
When the wicked came against me
To eat up my flesh,
My enemies and foes,
They stumbled and fell.
Though an army may encamp against
me,
My heart shall not fear;
Though way may rise against me,
In this I will be confident."
~Psalm 27:1-3

Most of you might know that I used to be terrified of flying. I am very thankful for the fact that I can say "used to be". I am so thankful that I have found freedom from that fear. I remember having to fly to and from California for my doctor's appointments, and I was literally sick because of my fear. I remember telling my mom I couldn't do it; I remember feeling so trapped and paralyzed by fear. It was only a two hour plane ride and I had my mom by my side, but still the fear gripped me. If you had told me then that only a few short years later I would be flying to Uganda by myself, I probably would have cried at the thought! I'm so thankful though for how faithful my God is, and how He loves me too much to leave me in my fear. His perfect love casts out my fear.

God saw me through all those plane rides to California when I literally thought I wouldn't make it. He gave me the strength and grace to get on the plane each time. I knew that I needed to go to those appointments, and the end result would be worth it. He used all those trips to prepare me to fly to Uganda, and He allowed me to fly to Uganda twice with a group of amazing people before He called me to fly there alone. I love how God prepares His people for the work which He has for them!

Even so, the night before I left to fly to Uganda alone, I felt so fearful and cried as I was so nervous about making the trip by myself.  Nevertheless, God once again proved His faithfulness to me. God met me every step of the way, and He filled my heart with His peace which passes understanding. He gave me the strength to do that which I didn't think I could, and I'm so thankful. If I had allowed my fear to stop me from going to Uganda, I would have missed so, so much. Following Jesus is always worth facing any fear.

There's so much in life that can cause fear, but when I set my eyes on Jesus, I once again see that He is still on the throne, He is in control, and He won't ever let me go. I can find victory over the fears that seek to bind me, because His grace is sufficient and His love is stronger than any fear I face.

I'm thankful that I too can say what David said:

"The LORD is my light and my
salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the strength of my life;
Of whom shall I be afraid?"
~Psalm 27:1

No comments: