Sunday, October 14, 2012

Arriving in Costa Rica


Tomorrow marks a week since I left for Costa Rica. Praise the Lord, it has been a good week!

It wasn’t as hard as I would have thought it would be to pack for six months, though my Mom did most if it and so I am sure that’s why. J If I didn’t have her help I am sure I would have ended up super overwhelmed, because it was still challenging trying to fit everything in the allotted space while not going over the weight limit. Thank you, Mom! I ended up having to check two bags –there was no way I could have gotten away with one. My carry on was packed full of medicine and I worried that I wouldn't be able to fit it in the overhead bin. My Mom reminded me to be anxious for nothing and that the Lord had brought me this far and so surely He would continue to pave my way to Costa Rica.

When I got there Sydnie was already there at the front counter to check her bag and everything. I then went to the counter and checked mine, and was done long before Sydnie, which was weird since she was there first. I soon heard that she was having a problem because of the length of her stay, and that they needed to see her bus ticket to Nicaragua where we will be going when we need to leave the country to get a new visa. Our bus tickets don’t have dates on them and apparently that was a problem. Finally they got everything squared away, but then they called me up to the desk. Thankfully, it didn't take too long with mine since they had just gone through it with Syd. I’m so glad it all worked out quickly – at that point I wanted to hurry up and get through security so that I wouldn't be cutting it close.

Robby and Colton Fowler came to the airport to pray for us before we left; that was blessing. One of my best friends, Joey, surprised me by coming and I was so glad that she did. My Mom knew she was going to come, but wanted to surprise me. She had said that Joey decided not to come because it would be too hard to say goodbye.

I got past security and met up with Syd who was already at our gate. Our flight was completely full, and so they were trying to get people to check their carry ons for free. It sounded like a really good deal, and I really wanted to do it so as not to have to deal with mine, but since it was all medicine I needed to keep it with me so that it wouldn't get lost. I still worried about fitting it up in the bin, even though when I went to Belize I had the exact same carry on and it fit fine.   

When it was time, I boarded the plane, and went to put my carry on in the bin, and could not get it to fit! Oh no, my nightmare was really happening! I got so nervous, and the plane was super crowded, but I had to go back to the front and talk to the flight attendant. I did, but it was hard since I was going against traffic and I am sure people were annoyed at me. I felt so panicky and told the flight attendant my problem and also that the carry on usually does fit, since I had traveled with it in the past. She quickly found the problem – one of the pockets was simply packed too full and so once I removed a few bottles of medicine it would fit. She was super sweet and understanding and I am so thankful for that, because she easily could have been grouchy at me for packing it too full.

I got back to my seat, and then Syd came on the plane, and was wondering why I was sitting where I was… I then realized I was in the wrong seat! I seem to always do that – I have no idea why since you think finding your seat would be one of the easier things about flying – apparently not in my case.
I ended up staying where I was, because the guy whose seat I unknowingly stole told me he didn't mind trading. Thankfully, again I encountered a gracious person who chose not to be grouchy with me. God is so good to me!

The lady next to me on the airplane was all drugged up because she gets super nervous when flying. She was so scared and at one point kept whispering to herself “it’s fine, it’s fine, it’s fine”. I get paranoid while flying as well, and seeing her freak out and get all nervous made me nervous too! I tried not to show it though, because I didn't want to make her more scared. I prayed with her and even though sitting next to her made me more nervous of flying, I am thankful that I did because it was cool being able to pray with her. Even in my weakness Jesus is strong!

I was so thankful once we were in Atlanta – I felt so glad to be out of the air. Sydnie and I discovered that the Atlanta airport is huge and walked from one end to the other because that’s where our gate was. Once over there, we decided that it was worth the walk to go find a Starbucks – after all, it would be our last one for six months!

The flight to Atlanta was uneventful. It wasn't a full flight and so Sydnie and I were able to change seats so that we could sit together.

We then arrived in Costa Rica! We went through customs alright. The lady kept asking me how long I was going to be in the country, and I kept trying to tell her I was leaving the country in 90 days, but she didn't speak English so could not understand me. She kept thinking I was saying 9 days and I kept trying to explain it. Finally, I think she just got tired of asking and let me go.

Matt and Cory (fellow missionaries) drove Sydnie, Tandrian (who arrived soon after us), and me to our apartments. We arrived there and began unpacking and getting all settled. 

Wednesday, the day after we arrived, we had orientation where we met with Cory to talk about what it is we will be doing each day.

Monday-Wednesday we have Potter’s Field Kids from 4:30-6:30pm. At PFK we will be teaching the children English, Bible stories, playing games, and helping with homework. Thursdays we have Bible club, which is also from 4:30-6:30pm and all children are welcome to attend for songs, a Bible story, and games.
A couple mornings a week we will be helping out at the church – cleaning, organizing, running errands, etc. Tuesday mornings one of us will help Rebecca, Pastor Phil’s wife, with whatever she may need help with that day. A couple of the mornings each week we will spend evangelizing or going around and visiting the PFK families.

Tuesday evenings there is Ladies Bible Study, Wednesday evening there is church, Thursday evenings there is worship practice for those who are interested in being on the team, and then there is also babysitting for Pastor Phil and Rebecca that evening. Friday evening is youth group. Saturday and Sundays are our day off for the most part.

I loved my time with the children this last week. I went to PFK on Wednesday, and then to kid’s club on Thursday and the kids are so much fun. It is definitely a huge challenge not being able to speak Spanish. I want to be building relationships with these children, but not being able to really talk to them is such a struggle. I would appreciate prayer that I would be able to quickly pick up some Spanish, and that even if I can’t speak to them in their language, that maybe I could find other ways to communicate my love, and most importantly, Jesus' love to them.

This last Friday was basically a free day, and Syd and I spent time cleaning our apartment. We both decided that it needed to be thoroughly cleaned, and that we wanted to get rid of whatever was smelling up the place! There was probably a lot that was contributing to the odor, but I think a lot of it had to do with the potatoes on the counter that I discovered were rotting. I was so thankful to get them out, although the apartment seems to always smell which is very unfortunate, though it could be way worse! 

Thursday evening Betty and I went to Matt and Brooke’s to babysit their kids. I had so much fun with them! Matt and Brooke are actually moving back to the states at the end of the month because that is where God is leading them for now. I am really sad that they are leaving, but thankful that they are still here for our first couple of weeks, and that I will see them at the ranch in Montana when we go back for reentry in April.

Saturday was another free day, and we decided to spend it at the beach. It was wonderful. I was able to spend time with the Lord while there, and, as I looked out at the ocean, was once again reminded how big our God really is. Compared to Him I am just a tiny grain of sand – actually even smaller, and what a comfort that was to me to remember that truth. All the problems that I have, all of my struggles and weaknesses, are so tiny compared to my God. Why do I spend so much of my time focusing on my problems, instead of looking up and focusing on my God? It was such a comfort to remember that God is so big, and so surely nothing could ever take me from His hand. I am His forever, and all my days are in His faithful hands. Yes, I will have struggles and trials, and yet He remains faithful and above it all. He is always on the throne, the question is do we recognize that fact and find peace in knowing He is on the throne, or do we fail to recognize His sovereignty because we are too focused on our problems?

I am so blessed to be here in Costa Rica. I am so thankful that the Lord has faithfully led me here. I have had so many fears and almost let my fears stop me from coming to Potter’s Field, and yet the Lord never gave up on me. He was so patient with me and gave me the grace to do His will. I am thankful that I serve a big God. I am thankful that no matter how big my problems may seem, He is bigger still. I am thankful that He gives me the grace I need each day. I am thankful that I can trust Him. I am thankful that He holds me in the palm of His hand and won’t ever let me go.

No comments: