Friday, December 10, 2010

John 3:30

"He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:30

Now that is a verse that my flesh greatly struggles against. It is SO against my flesh to ask the Lord to increase and myself to decrease, because basically my flesh wants everything all about me, though what a contrast that is to how we are called to live. In Luke 9:23 Jesus said that if we want to come after Him we must deny ourselves, take up our crosses daily, and follow Him. Once again, the whole denying self thing is difficult, as it is so against what I in myself want and even against what this world teaches.

I guess I am in the process of learning (and always will be I am sure!) to be driven by the Lord's desires and wants for my life, rather than my own. Reading John 3:30 tonight I was encouraged, because that is what I so need all the time. Lately as I have been thinking about my life, where I want to go and what I want to do, I am learning to simply surrender it all to the Lord. I'm learning to not be guided by my emotions and what I want, but to simply wait on the Lord and let Him lead me to what He wants for me, and to trust that His desires are far better than any of mine. Lord, decrease me in all areas of my life, so that You might increase.

"Holy fire burn away
My desire for anything
That is not of You and is of me
I want more of You
And less of me

Empty me, empty me,
Fill me with You, with You"

No comments: